Tuesday, November 3, 2009

I am a consumer of popular culture

In my room there isn’t much hanging around because I am still unpacking and moving and getting my room prepared for something bigger. However I kept art in my room when it was fully furnished of African American art. Many pieces were part of my collection that showed black people in motion. I do have nikes and many Jordan’s in my collection of sneakers because I am a part of the era of the bulls when they reigned as champions for three years, and took time off and became champions again for three consecutive years. I have my IPOD dock sitting on my dresser so that I can have access to my music wherever I go. Apart from that there is nothing that I can look around that makes me feel as if my motivations for decorations has been provided by pop culture. I take a step out into my living room because maybe that will provide me with a little more to work with. However, when I go into my living room I look at my flat screen HDTV and know that buying a TV that large and of that quality has definitely been motivated by pop culture. I would not watch much television if it were not for visitors in my home. I prefer the lull of music taking me into another world while I search for things on the internet. Almost everything else in my living room has a classic feel. The Italian leather sofa and loveseat set, and a contrasting coffee table compliments the large bright earth toned painting of a tulip that hangs above my loveseat. The African art adds to the comfortable feel which makes me sigh with relief whenever I step foot in my apartment because at last I have made it home. The play station that never gets used is definitely a part of popular culture. There are constant commercials on television to catch the attention of gamers so that they are willing to buy a game console and I happened to get caught up in the hype and purchased one that I used to play more frequently than I do now. I know I am at a stage of my life where there is only one thing that really matters to me, so the choices I make are motivated by this one thing. However, just one year ago popular culture was my life. I would take my own spin on what was popular to make my own identity with it. Therefore, my apparel was heavily motivated by the desire to be. Be what one may ask? To be me. I have an extensive collection of sneakers that I bought because they were part of the hip-hop culture and helped me stay true to my B-girl nature. I also really only wore designer jeans and T-shirts with funky logos and sneakers. Like I said before I have a few Jordan’s and a couple of pairs of Nikes, but for the most part I have a lot of Adidas, Creative Recreations, and Supras to complement my “kicks” collection that was a part of the popular culture that mattered to me. It took a long time for me to buy the Nike brand for social reasons. I know that the workers were getting paid minimally to create these shoes for popular mass consumption. I also at one point in my life worked for the company and left the job after I felt that the beliefs they upheld were different from my own. I try to be socially conscious but most of the time I am drifting in my mind so it is difficult for me to actually do so. I guess even though I try to be an individual I am a product of popular culture because in many ways it has played a role in the decisions I have made in my past about how to look, and what to purchase. I shake my head in disbelief because I could’ve sworn I was different.

No comments:

Post a Comment